Translate

Tuesday, June 9, 2015

New York, Here I Come!


I have the wonderful pleasure of being able to visit the world headquarters of Jehovah's Witnesses this week. A bus load of us left Rockingham, NC early this morning at 3am. we arrived here at the Hampton Inn after 6pm. The first thing that struck me about the area was the views of the surrounding mountains. Once here at the hotel I had the strangest thought. My mind went back to my early childhood years. I saw a sign that said "Welcome to Catskills". I thought about the story of Rip Van Winkle. Why? Because the first thing I remembered about the story was its setting...the Catskills! It is funny how the mind can sometimes remember the smallest of details. Now, here I am all these years later, in the place I once read about in a book. The story of Rip was just a fiction, but this place is real, and beautiful, and serene. It wouldn't take moonshine for me to be able to sleep away 20 years of my life here (read the story...lol).
After checking in to the hotel, we went to Soho to eat. It is a very short walk from the hotel. And we were told they would give us a 20% discount on our order. The atmosphere was very inviting. Staff was professional yet fun. Of course we had to try the pizza..it's New York! My friend Brenda and I got the pepperoni. It is both our favorite. It did not disappoint! It was very good. As a matter of fact, it was the second best pizza I have ever had. (Number one still goes to the pizza aboard the MSC Divina cruise ship). Brenda enjoyed her Cobb salad with champagne vinaigrette dressing...sounds rich doesn't it. We also enjoyed tamales with avocado and sour cream. If you are in the area, I highly recommend Soho's Bar and Grill.
We visited The Watchtower Headquarters in Brooklyn, we visited the Educational Center, rode by One World Trade Center, Little Italy, Brotherhood Winery (Oldest continuously run winery in the US), Galleria Mall and more. 











We all have places stuck in our head for one reason or another. Where is it that you want to go? Stop dreaming and lets make it happen! McMillian Travel is here for you!! Call us at 704-727-8821. We will take good care of you.

No comments:

Post a Comment