Blogs about travel, life, and everything in between. If you are interested in travel, real estate, saving money, getting finances for your business or working from home, contact me on this blog or visit www.BrendaMcMillian.com. Thanks!
Translate
Monday, August 10, 2026
One Old Pen Stopped Me In My Tracks
Today I was cleaning off my husband's night stand. I found something that stopped me in my effort to clean. On his nightstand was an ink pen. This was not just any pen. It was a pen that I had purchased around 1990. It was for advertising the first real estate company I worked with: Apex Realty out of Rockingham, NC. This was before we married so my maiden name, Brenda K Allen, was in bold letters, along with the office number and my home number. Apex Realty was run by Robert Swinney, an African-American man who was always calm and focused. When I got my real estate license in 1988, I sat on them for 2 years trying to find a right fit for me. The agencies in my county did not seem interested in me joining their firms and so I was patient until the right agency came along. I don't remember how I met Mr. Swinney, but we went to Western Sizzlin there in Wadesboro (long since torn down) and had a two hour lunch. He felt that we would be a good fit and so did I. He taught me so much about real estate and how to respond to racism and prejudice and indifference. He taught me how to take emotions out of real estate and deal with facts and reality. When I wanted to get emotional, he would always say "Just be cool." I would not be where I am today without his wisdom and guidance. I remember him coming to my wedding reception at our home. He even brought a gift, though I have long since forgotten what it was. I will never forget his kindness and his real estate wisdom. But I digress. Vaughn and I were married in 2003. And for him to have kept this pen for our entire marriage, not hidden away, but on his nightstand, is a testament to him being my biggest cheerleader and dearest friend. Finding this pen speaks volumes but really just affirms what I already knew. My husband was one of the most thoughtful and caring people I have ever known. He always wanted me to be whatever I wanted to be. I think if I had wanted to be an astronaut, he would have asked 2 questions: how much will it cost and what do you need to do to get started? Those were the two questions he asked me in 2018 when I wanted to get back into my real estate career. We put together and plan and we made it happen. I remember asking him, after I started closing deals, what he would like to have after each commission check cleared. He replied "a chocolate milkshake." I said, "That's all?" And he said "Yep, that's all". And I can't think of but maybe one or two occasions when he actually let me buy him one. I guess just knowing I would was enough.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment