Translate

Monday, January 2, 2017

Went To The Store...Bought Nothing!! What???



The other day, I went to the store to do some shopping. I don't window shop, I think it is a waste of time and gas...lol. So when I go shopping, I am looking for things I want or will be able to use on my next vacation. Sometimes, I look for things for the grand children or hubby. But it has to be special, something I feel they will really like.
Anyway, I walked around the store twice. In all the "new arrivals" and markdowns, I could not find anything that I needed or wanted. In all the sales and pretty, shinny things, I realized that I had everything I needed and wanted. I have things that money cannot buy or secure. I have my life and a measure of health that allows me to explore the world around me. I have family that loves me and looks out for my best interests. I have friends who are like family. I have a relationship with my creator. I have a place to call home and a car to drive to and from there. Although I could use a new set of mattresses, I have somewhere to sleep. There is a variety of food in the refrigerator and electricity to see at night. I realized that there are so many people who do not have the simple things. People who do not have others who care or family that love them. People who do not have decent housing or enough food to eat.
So many times in life we think we want things. We think we need to add to our collection of things. But acquiring more things only leaves us in debt or at least with less money than before. It does not fill the hole that we think we have. It does not cover the void.
I left the store, headed for home. I was grinning from ear to ear. I still had a couple of dollars in my pocket but I felt so rich! I felt rich because I knew when I got home, I would feel the love, the security and the peace that I could not get anywhere else. I could breathe in the beauty of serenity and happiness that those closest to me provide. No voids, no holes, just the freedom to be me.

No comments:

Post a Comment