Translate

Monday, June 13, 2022

Don't Expect Others to Be You!

A few days ago, I was disappointed by what some people did, or shall I say didn't do. I wondered why I had been treated the way that I was treated. I wondered what I had done or not done to deserve such treatment. I had to come to grips with the fact that everyone who is important to me might not feel the same way about me. The entire experience helped me to realize that others will not treat you like you will treat them. And you have to be OK with that. When your expectations of others are high and you are disappointed, it usually has nothing to do with who you are as a person. It has more to do with your lack of importance to them. Would I have done to them as they did to me? No. But again, they are not me. And I am not sure why I expected them to show kindness to me as I would have to them. I think that is how we set ourselves up for failure. Others are not us. They don't have the same feelings, knowledge, emotional make-up or life experiences. I think my sorrow is in the fact that the opportunity for that experience has passed and will not come again in the exact same or even similar way. So much is going on in the world today. But I cannot and will not be defined by how a few people treat me. My kindness is my own and I will continue to show it every chance I get. I will also think twice about not doing all I can to live in the moment and be grateful for everyone I can touch while I can physically touch them. Life is too short to live any other way.

No comments:

Post a Comment